- Who We Are and What This Policy Covers
- Creative Commons Sharealike License
- Information We Collect
- Information You Provide to Us
- Information We Collect Automatically
- How And Why We Use Information
- Purposes for Using Information
- Legal Bases for Collecting and Using Information
- Sharing Information
- How We Share Information
- How Long We Keep Information
- Your Rights
- How to Reach Us
- Other Things You Should Know
- Change log
At Aisle 4 Software we take your privacy very seriously. This document will spell out the details of how your data is handled, but here is the summary of the general principles we apply:
- Collect and store only necessary data.
- Share data only as necessary for providing the software services, with your consent.
- Strongly protect your data in the course of its use.
- Remove your data completely at your request if you choose to discontinue service.
Who We Are and What This Policy Covers
Aisle 4 Software is the company behind the BackTrax and Gig Connection apps and services. Our goal is to provide powerful tools for working musicians to support their live performances and to make their lives easier in the course of running their business.
- The BackTrax app
- The Gig Connection web service/app
- The mailing lists associated with these products
- Any contact with Aisle 4 for support, billing inquiries, etc.
Information We Collect
We only collect information about you if we have a reason to do so - for example, to provide our Services, to communicate with you, or to make our Services better.
We collect information when you directly provide it to us, and in some cases automatically through the operation of our Services. Let's go over the information that we collect.
Information You Provide to Us
It's probably no surprise that we collect information that you provide to us. The amount and type of information depends on the context and how we use the information. Here are some examples:
- Basic Account Information: We ask for basic information from you in order to set up your account. For example, to sign up for a Premium BackTrax account or Gig Connection account, we require an email address.
- Transaction and Billing Information: If you buy something directly from us or use features of the Services that involve financial transactions, you will provide additional personal and payment information that is required to process the transactions, such as your name, credit card information, and contact information.
- Communications With Us: You may also provide us information when you respond to surveys, communicate with our personnel about a support question, or post a question in our public forums.
Information We Collect Automatically
We also collect some information automatically:
- Log Information: Like most online service providers, we collect information that web browsers, mobile devices, and servers typically make available, such as the browser type, IP address, unique device identifiers, language preference, referring site, the date and time of access, operating system, and mobile network information. We collect log information when you use our Services.
- Usage Information: We collect information about your usage of our Services. For example, we collect information about how many songs are in your BackTrax song library, how many songs are in your saved sets, and your choices for the app options (e.g. lyrics font size). We also collect information about the device you use to access our Services, such as the screen size and device model. We use this information to, for example, provide our Services to you, as well as get insights on how people use our Services so we can improve them.
- Location Information: We may determine the approximate location of your device from your IP address. We collect and use this information to, for example, calculate how many people visit our Services from certain geographic regions. For features not yet released, we may also collect information about your precise location via our mobile apps if you allow us to do so through your mobile device operating system's permissions.
- Stored Information: We may access information stored on your mobile device via our mobile app. We access this stored information through your device operating system's permissions. For example, we may load songs from your device's media library if you give the app permission to do so, and you choose to load those songs for playback in the app.
How And Why We Use Information
Purposes for Using Information
We use information about you as mentioned above and for the purposes listed below:
- To provide our Services - for example, to set up and maintain your account, store your content, or charge you for any of our paid Services;
- To further develop and improve our Services - for example by adding new features that we think our users will enjoy or will help them use our Services more efficiently and effectively;
- To measure, gauge, and improve the effectiveness of our advertising, and better understand user retention and attrition - for example, we may analyze how many individuals purchased a plan after receiving a marketing message or the features used by those who continue to use our Services after a certain length of time;
- To monitor and prevent any problems with our Services, protect the security of our Services, detect and prevent fraudulent or hostile activities against the Services;
- To communicate with you, for example through an email, about your account status, offers and promotions offered by Aisle 4, or to solicit your feedback; and
Legal Basis for Collecting and Using Information
A note here for those in the European Union about our legal grounds for processing information about you under EU data protection laws, which is that our use of your information is based on the grounds that:
- The use is necessary in order to fulfill our commitments to you under our Terms of Service or other agreements with you or is necessary to administer your account - for example, in order to enable access to our website on your device or charge you for a paid plan; or
- The use is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation; or
- The use is necessary in order to protect your vital interests or those of another person; or
- We have a legitimate interest in using your information - for example, to provide and update our Services, to improve our Services so that we can offer you an even better user experience, to safeguard our Services, to communicate with you, to measure, gauge, and improve the effectiveness of our advertising, and better understand user retention and attrition, to monitor and prevent any problems with our Services, and to personalize your experience; or
- You have given us your consent - for example before we place certain cookies on your device and access and analyze them later on.
How Long We Keep Information
We generally discard information about you when we no longer need the information for the purposes for which we collect and use it - which are described in the section above on How and Why We Use Information - and we are not legally required to continue to keep it.
For example, we keep the web server logs that record information about a visitor to one of Aisle 4's websites, such as the visitor's IP address, browser type, and operating system, for approximately 30 days. We retain the logs for this period of time in order to, among other things, analyze traffic to our websites and investigate issues if something goes wrong.
While no online service is 100% secure, we work very hard to protect information about you against unauthorized access, use, alteration, or destruction, and take reasonable measures to do so, such as monitoring our Services for potential vulnerabilities and attacks.
If you are located in certain countries, including those that fall under the scope of the European General Data Protection Regulation (AKA the "GDPR"), data protection laws give you rights with respect to your personal data, subject to any exemptions provided by the law, including the rights to:
- Request access to your personal data;
- Request correction or deletion of your personal data;
- Object to our use and processing of your personal data;
- Request that we limit our use and processing of your personal data; and
- Request portability of your personal data.
You can usually access, correct, or delete your personal data using your account settings and tools that we offer, but if you aren't able to do that, or you would like to contact us about one of the other rights, scroll down to How to Reach Us.
EU individuals also have the right to make a complaint to a government supervisory authority.
How to Reach Us
Other Things You Should Know
- In the case of US based entities, entering into European Commission approved standard contractual arrangements with them, or ensuring they have signed up to the EU-US Privacy Shield; or
- In the case of entities based in other countries outside the EEA, entering into European Commission approved standard contractual arrangements with them.
You can ask us for more information about the steps we take to protect your personal information when transferring it from the EU.
- November 23, 2018: First version.